Hotel

Tuesday 6 March 2012

All about me


I'm 52, a survivor of several brain aneurysms that ruptured over a 4 year period from age 14 to 18.
This is my story of those events that brought me to writing about my challenges, my successes in hopes that I may impart some hope to those presently living with a brain injury.  It is also a guide for those caring for a brain injured love one.
Some times my words will seem harsh and even insensitive.  Please understand my hope for you is acceptance of the new reality that comes with the most insidious disability out there.  It is for the most part hidden, misunderstood, difficult to rehabilitate from, leaves a wake of family destruction, broken friendships, and last but not least an injury that is permanent. 
I know these words may cut to the bone, however, if one is to succeed and reach the maximum level of rehabilitation, one must throw away a false sense of hope and replace it with a more down to earth, realistic expectation of what one can expect from your Brain Injured loved one.  If your loved one is like me, high functioning brain injured, the fact still remains, he or she is still permanently brain injured and is prone to have limitations.

My doctor did not pull any punches when I was first diagnosed in 1977.  He said the chances of surviving were slim to none.  Then he said chances were that if I survived the surgery. I would be paralyzed, speechless and have little or no memory.
Now that may seem inconsiderate this doctor of doom purveyor of negative feedback.  However he was actually preparing my parents for the worse case scenario.  If I did not die, then however I turned out, would be bonus in the eyes of my parents.  If I died then they were also prepared for that as well.  Anything above that was icing on the cake.
This is what I am trying to prepare you for in case you hoped for a full recovery and fell short at least you will be able to cope with that new possibility.
I apologize to people who are physically disabled.  I mean no disrespect for anyone dealing with a life altering affliction.  My reason for saying Brain Injury is the most insidious is because unlike loss of limb, or mobility, the rehab process is the same for all.  When it comes to Brain Injury, what works well for one may have little or no affect on a similar brain injured person.  With loss of limb, rehab is the same for one as it is for the other therefore success and achieving the fullest potential can be reached in a reasonable time. I am 40 plus years in recovery and I still don't have it licked.
So follow me through my blog.  I hope I can make you laugh.  I hope you will take from this a sense of reality that will prepare you for what is and will be as life altering for the survivor as it will be for you the caregiver.My hopes and prayers go out to those who like me have a new reality called My Broken Brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment